Thursday, April 19, 2007

Sponsoring a child


In December 2005 I had a knock at my door. I open it to find two young men canvassing for sponsors for the Foster Parent Plan (or the Plan as they are now called). I had known about this program for alot of years. I inherited my Great-Aunts desk quite a few years back and upon going thru it I found letters to her from the children she sponsored over the years. Even now I think back and it makes me teary to remember the love these children felt for a women they pen- paled with from youth into adulthood. It was so touching. So of course given the opportunity I decided you know what we can afford the small fee of $33 a month to do this and I signed us up.
When Bruce got home I "surprised" him with this information. We have a boy. Nuiwa lives in China and we have sent a few letters back and forth now. It takes close to 4 months for the letters to make it from here to there and vice versa. Quite a long time but so worth the wait. Life is so different for him and his family, I didn't realize how much we took for granted until the correnspondence started.
I look forward to many years of getting to know this boy and his family, it is an exciting journey for our kids and us.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

He is MOST beautiful and precious.

This is a cool idea. Can you give me more info on this... I'd love to do something like this.

Anonymous said...

I have always been more of a local girl. I donate what I can to the community and hope that the little we can do makes a difference. Charity is charity though and I think it is ever so important to teach our children about it too!

Overwhelmed! said...

How wonderful! I've thought about doing this, but I've always worried about whether or not the money actually gets to the child in need...how would you truly know?

Sweet picture that you've shared!

Anonymous said...

That's awesome. I agree with Chelle - anything we can do helps.